Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Inventors' sacrifices

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”  
~ Nicola Tesla

Wendy's skirt after adding the delux ruffle... about 10:30am.
Sometimes I find myself putting my art--bellydance and costume creation in front of other things.  Admittedly I struggle to maintain normal priorities, schedules, and budgets...  Today I have felt exceptionally driven.
Lacing it up... 
 Today I have been propelled by sheer will.  I woke up after only 5 hours of sleep, my head swirling with the day's projects:
...the half finished skirts for the festival in 2 weeks......my day with Rosie during which I am usually unable to craft......my hunger for breakfast... but not the 4 eggs my trainer assigned for me to eat......the training tests at the gym...


Tossing and turning, I tried curling around Jesse's back like a little koala baby, which usually puts me right to sleep, but unfortunately I wasn't able to
Rosie falls asleep waiting for me to finish...
release the driving thoughts and desire for accomplishment, even after only just 5 hours of sleep.

Needless to say, these obsessive thoughts took me upstairs into the loft where I spent the majority of the day sewing, pinning, and ultimately finishing Wendy's skirt (way ahead of schedule).  I felt like a sorcerer's apprentice - upon committing to the task, I couldn't stop till it was completed.


Rosie, bless her little puggy heart, was so good today!  She spent time with me upstairs curled up at my feet under the sewing table, which she's never done before.  It really made me feel so happy--like she's finally starting to get comfortable with my routine (not just Jesse's).  It just made me feel really affectionate towards her and glad that she and I have had this summer to bond.  Her little pug face was so cute when she fell asleep in the sun, I took more pictures of her throughout the day than I did the skirt!



Finishing touches: gears, appliques, shisha mirror, buttons
I am so happy with the way this skirt turned out.  I'm definitely going to list the pictures on my etsy boutique.  I hope to get one of Wendy modeling it this weekend (and at the performance she bought it for) too.

I used some of the gears that I found at Micheals in the scrap booking section to give it a steampunk feel.  I also was really happy with the lighter poly fabric as the skirt's base.  It allowed the elastic thread to ruch tighter.  Finally, I also used a striped ribbon on top of the ruched seam, which I was really happy with.  All in all, I think the design has improved every time I've been commissioned to make a skirt.

I was so proud, in fact, that I texted Jesse several times asking him to send me photos--I was looking forward to posting these here and sending Wendy pics and putting pics up on etsy.  

Though I should be tired, or perhaps worried about the intricacies of tomorrow, all I feel is the happiness of success.
Wendy's finished skirt, completed at 12:30pm...




No comments:

Post a Comment