Thursday, November 19, 2009

Knitting Club

Fascilitating a knitting club meeting in a high school is a bit like juggling with tangled yarn balls that you're trying to keep in the air all at once!  It is challenging to do well, but once you hit your rhythm... you're set for a while. 

Today, we had a new knitting club member.  I taught her how to cast on and do the basic knit stitch, and then she sat on the couch in my classroom in concentrated silence.  My other club members, two quiet, shy girls, were sitting on adjacent couches, absorbed in their projects.  The only sound in the room was the soft hissing of yarn friction and the occasional "tink" of needles touching.  You could have cut the air with a knife - it was like these young women were taking an exam! 

Once our new member was set to continue on her own for a while, I went to get my newest project - an alpaca neckwarmer for my dad for Xmas.  It is gorgeous yarn that I found in Spooner when I was visiting my parents up there last weekend.  I am just knitting  him a "turtle neck" in the round with a knit 5 purl 5 design for thick, sumptuous ribbing.  I sat down in my classroom chair and started casting on for my project, when I realized how incredibly soft the black yarn was!  I just had to share it! 

I broke the icy silence in the room by taking around my alpaca yarn to show the eager knitters.  They oohed and ahhed at its equisiteness, and then they started to share ideas about their projects.  I asked them about gifts this year for the holidays - bringing up my yearly pledge to make all my gifts.  Pretty soon a conversation and brainstorming session was going about what we should make our families for the holiday season.  It was truly a successful "stitch and bitch" session if I do say so myself.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment